Accies Ladies v Falkirk, Sunday 6th August

Match report by Steven Turner

Falkirk Ladies travelled to Memorial Field in Ardrossan for their first ever game of fifteens – while the Accies ladies continued their preparation for their first season in the league.

It was experience that counted in the end in a game the home side dominated throughout, the pack providing go forward ball from the scrum and at the breakdown.  It didn’t take Accies long to get moving – fly-half Shelley Main taking the game to Falkirk – moving left she delayed her pass to Elaine Clark perfectly – but the outside centre was dragged down inside the 22.

Minutes later Falkirk were under pressure again, but the Accies wasted their overlap when a miss-pass allowed the defence to cover.

The visitors held out for the first twenty minutes before the Accies turned their possession and territory into points, Main breaking right off a ruck before passing out to the onrushing full-back Janine Phillips who broke a tackle on her way to the line.

It was Phillips who extended the Accies lead after some good handling in what would have been dreadful conditions in November never mind August.  Hooker Charlotte Watters getting over the gain line before feeding Rhona Gordon.  A few phases later Phillips crossed over for her second try.

The Accies’ next attack looked like it had stalled in front of the Falkirk posts, scrum half Shelagh Milligan held up in contact – but she managed to turn and offload the ball backwards, the next pass going to Phillips coming around the corner who broke a tackle to run in from seven metres for her hat-trick.

HT – Accies 15   Falkirk 0

The second half started as the first half ended – Shelley Main beating the first defender off a ruck, passing out to one of the game’s biggest carriers, Charlotte Watters, who made ground and drew the defence before setting centre Marie-ann Wales free for a 40 metre run-in.

It was Accies’ indiscipline that gave Falkirk a way back into the game – a series of penalties marching them back sixty metres into their own 22.  But a knock-on by Falkirk let Ardrossan off the hook.

With the ball back in hand they turned the screw again, Shelley Main bringing Gordon into the game from full back.  She linked up with Clark who passed left to winger Lucy Anderson who broke the last tackle to score.

Falkirk were determined to take something away from the game – and pinned the Accies back in their own 22 for a long period but lacked the final cutting edge.  There were several penalties against the Accies as they battled to defend their line and their clean sheet.  But Falkirk were rewarded for their persistence, Emma Reilly finally touching down right of the posts.

The Accies ladies had the perfect response – a move down the left touchline was finished off when Elaine Clark chipped the ball through, winger Davee Sang running in behind the defence to ground the ball for the Accies’ sixth try.

FT – Accies 32   Falkirk 5


Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.